Well I got a decent days work in today. A few things done but there’s still more to do before the High Country trip. We’ve decided to take the Prado to Tassie so that gives me another 3 days after work to get it completed.
Today’s main job was to fit the rear wheel carrier. But I also managed to get the wiring done to suit towing the Trak Shak which entailed changing from a dual battery system in the old girl to a single one. You don’t have to take the dual system out, but I don’t have a need for a second battery in the Landy now and it frees up a lot of space.
I used a dual battery controller and circuit breaker the exact same as you’d do for a dual battery system. The only difference is it needs to be connected through the Anderson plug to work.
Last and not least I finally got the front tailshaft rebuilt. So I’m back to constant 4WD instead of the rear wheel drive (centre diff locked) that I had been doing. It took quite a while to pull them apart as the damage was a bit more than I realised at first. However all’s good that ends well!
The rear wheel carrier came up good. It is made by Bermach in the UK, however I got it through Rover Parts down in VIC – a lot easier than dealing with customs etc etc. I was a little disappointed in the gap I got between the door handle and the carrier – it’s on an angle. I should have mounted the plate further to the passenger side to get it closer. Oh well – lesson learnt via another mistake 🙂
I was able to clean up the inside of the rear door whilst I was at it, however I’ve noticed a couple of cracks just under the window that I’m going to have to do something about. You can hear it ‘knocking’ when I close the door or even as I drive up the road now the carrier is fitted.
I will be putting a flat piece of steel or chequerplate over the inside of the rear door, with most likely a fold down table of some sort. Not sure when I’ll get around to that one, but that is the plan.